- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch escarole
- ¼ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Separate leaves of escarole, wash and chop. Set aside.
- Cook garlic in olive oil over low heat for about one minute. Do not brown.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Lower heat and add a tablespoon of broth or water if onion is browning too quickly.
- Add escarole, cook, turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until leaves are tender and stem ends are still crunchy. Sprinkle with salt.
- Stir in beans with their liquid. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with freshly grated cheese, if desired.