- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ¼ cups French lentils
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add oil. When hot, add chopped vegetables and sauté until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water, lentils, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a fast simmer.
- Simmer lentils until they are tender and have absorbed most of the water, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain any excess water after lentils have cooked if necessary.
- Serve immediately, or allow them to cool and reheat later.