- 2 heads of escarole, well washed
- Olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, slightly crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of capers, well washed and squeezed
- A handful of black olives
- 4 anchovy fillets
- A handful of pinoli nuts
- A handful of raisins, soaked until soft and drained
- Blanch the escarole.
- Fry the garlic gently in a generous amount of olive oil.
- Transfer the escarole from the pot to the sauté pan with a pair of tongs. Let the escarole drain before you add it to the pan, but letting some water still cling to the leaves.
- Turn the heat back on, stir the escarole so it is well coated with the oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the optional ingredients to the pan, mix them into the escarole, and re-cover the pan.
- Let the escarole simmer for another 5 minutes until very tender and flavorful.
- Bon Appétit!