- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1-2 tbsp. berbere spice blend to taste
- 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 medium red potatoes diced
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, berbere spice and cayenne and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add broth, lentils, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Cook until lentils are very soft and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and continue to cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bon Appétit!