- day old rustic bread, cut in half
- vine-ripened tomato
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt or a fine flake salt
- fresh garlic
- Toast the bread over open flame, grill or in the broiler.
- Slice a clove of garlic in half and rub over the surface of the bread.
- Slice a tomato in half and rub it liberally across the bread, shredding the pulp in the process, until the bread is saturated enough or you just have the tomato skin remaining.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Season with salt.
- 4 cups tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 4 cups day old (somewhat dry and hard) crusty bread, cut into chunks the same size as the tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, skinned and seeded, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, torn into little pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything together and let marinate, covered, at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, up to 12 hours. Do not refrigerate or you will destroy the texture of the tomatoes.
- Serve at room temperature.
- 10 plum tomatoes, halved, seeded, coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups (packed) coarsely torn day-old baguette with crust (about 4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped Jamón Serrano
- Fruity Spanish olive oil (for drizzling)
- Stir 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in medium bowl to dissolve. Add bread; soak 30 minutes. Squeeze excess liquid from bread; reserve soaking liquid.
- Puree half each of chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, Sherry wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, and garlic in blender until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add half of bread, adding reserved soaking liquid by tablespoonfuls if mixture is too thick to blend. Puree until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add half of light extra-virgin olive oil (mixture will turn slightly orange). Transfer to large bowl. Repeat with remaining chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, Sherry wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, garlic, bread, and oil. Cover and chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Season to taste with salt.
- Sprinkle chopped egg and ham over. Drizzle with Spanish olive oil and serve.