For the Roasted Carrots:
- 16 medium freshly-harvested local carrots with their tops
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the Carrot Top Pesto:
- 2 cups tightly-packed carrot tops (blanched for 30 seconds and drained)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated parmesan
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Trim carrot tops, leaving some stem attached. Measure out 2 cups carrot tops and set aside; reserve any remaining carrot tops for another use.
- Toss carrots and vegetable oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until carrots are golden brown and tender, 25–35 minutes. Let cool.
- Pulse garlic and nuts in a food processor until a coarse paste forms. Add basil, Parmesan, and reserved carrot tops; process until a coarse purße forms. Add olive oil and pulse until combined; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve carrots with pesto.
- 8 medium-large carrots
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, finely minced or crushed
- 1/2 tsp. ground caraway + 1 tsp. ground coriander (or substitute 1 tsp. cumin)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Cook the carrots until soft and tender.
- Sautée the finely chopped onion in 1 Tbsp of olive oil, on medium heat, until nice and golden.
- Mash the carrots (with a fork, or in a food processor). If using the food processor don’t puree them until smooth, they should still be a bit chunky.
- Add the cooked onion and all the other remaining ingredients.
- Mix well. You should have a nice chunky bright orange mash. Taste, and add a bit more salt or spices, as needed.
- Serve with toppings such as olives and hard boiled eggs, a good glug of olive oil on top, and a fresh baguette to scoop it up with.