- 5 quarts cold water
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (about 1 pound), soaked in cold water to cover overnight and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
- ½ pound Irish or Canadian bacon, diced
- 1 green cabbage (about 1¾ pounds), cored and chopped
- Bring the water to a boil in a stew pot.
- Add the drained chickpeas, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, and cumin.
- Reduce the heat to medium and after add the bacon after 2 hours.
- Cook until the chickpeas are soft, about another hour.
- Add the cabbage to the pot and cook for about an hour.
- Taste and correct the seasoning and serve.