- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved crosswise
- Coarse salt
- Dipping sauce
- Prepare artichokes for steaming:
- Snap off tough outer leaves.
- Cut off top 1/3 of artichoke.
- Snip remaining spiky tips using kitchen shears.
- Trim stem so artichoke stands upright.
- Rub cut surfaces with lemon to prevent discoloration.
- Repeat with remaining artichokes and lemon.
- Set a steamer basket in a large pot.
- Add water just below the basket.
- Squeeze lemon juice into water and add 1 tablespoon salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Place artichokes in steamer basket, stem-side up.
- Cover pot, and steam until heart is tender, around 25min.