- 1 cup of dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or 19 oz of cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 thick (½ inch) slices of day old bread with crust removed
- 15 blanched unsalted Marcona almonds
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp pimentón de La Vera (Spanish paprika)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of vinagre de Jerez (sherry vinegar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet and sauté the bread, raw almonds, garlic, cumin, cayenne and black pepper over medium heat until golden brown on all sides of the bread. Transfer to a mortar, add salt and vinegar and mash to a paste with a pestle.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet and heat. Quickly sauté the spinach for a few minutes, add the paprika, chickpeas, bread and garlic paste, and spices. Cook over medium heat for a minute, adding water if the mixture is dry. Turn off the heat and leave it to sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with bread, a light drizzle of fresh olive oil and a sprinkle of pimentón.
- Buen provecho!
- Espinacas con Garbanzos – Andalusian Spinach & Chickpeas
- Espinacas con Garbanzos a la Sevillana (Spinach and Chickpeas, Sevilla Style)
- SEVILLE STYLE SPINACH AND CHICKPEA STEW (ESPINACAS CON GARBANZOS)