- 1 pound lentils, rinsed and soaked
- 2 cups kale leaves, trimmed from stalk and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turmeric
- juice of one small orange or 1/2 large orange.
- 2 strips of orange zest, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6-8 cups of vegetable stock or water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the lentils and then soak for them 2-3 hours in cool water.
- Heat a large pot. Add the olive oil, onions and the ginger.
- Sweat the vegetables until the onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle the cumin, turmeric and chopped orange zest into the pot. Stir through and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the honey and cook until it reduces and becomes thick.
- Deglaze with the orange juice and stir well to scrape up any bits that have formed on the bottom of the pot.
- Drain and rinse the soaked lentils again. Add to the pot along with 6 cups of stock.
- Stir all the ingredients to combine well. Add more stock if needed. Simmer partly covered for 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- At the very end, stir in the kale and add the vinegar. Taste and adjust the seasoning with the salt and pepper, if desired.
- Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Immediately serve in warmed bowls with garnishes.
- Curried Lentil Soup
- French Lentil Soup
- Blue Zones Lentil Soup
- Lucky Lentil Soup
- Red Lentil Soup With Lemon Recipe
- Simple French Lentil Soup
- Winter Lentil Soup