- 4 quarts water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole cloves
- 5 long tamarind pods, husk removed, and seeded or boil the entire pod to make removing easier
- ½ pound tejocotes or crab apples, left whole
- 6 large guavas, peeled and cut into large bite-size chunks
- 2 red apples (of your choice), peeled, cored, and cut into small bite-size chunks
- 1 pear (of your choice), peeled, cored, and cut into small bite-size chunks
- 2 (4-inch) sugarcane sticks, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 cone piloncillo, chopped or 1 cup dark brown sugar
- Boil the water with cinnamon sticks, cloves, tamarind, and tejocotes. After it starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the tejocotes are soft.
- Remove the tejocotes from the heat, peel, remove hard ends, cut in half, and deseed. Return them to the pot.
- Add guavas, apples, pears, sugar cane, prunes, orange slices, and piloncillo.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring gently. Discard cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Ladle into cups, making sure each cup gets some chunks of fruit.
- Mexico in My Kitchen: Mexican Christmas Punch / Ponche Navideño
- How to make ponche, the traditional Mexican Christmas punch
- PONCHE NAVIDEÑO (MEXICAN CHRISTMAS FRUIT PUNCH)