- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 package of Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T. fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring 4 cups of water and the 1 cup of barley to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the barley is soft.
- Sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are soft.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, bay leaves, and fresh thyme.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked barley and cook for 15 minutes.
- Barley Mushroom Soup
- Barley Recipes That Will Make You Love This Unsexy Grain
- Two Peas and Their Pod: Mushroom Barley Soup