- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (14 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds, plus more for serving
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over moderately high heat.
- Add the onion and fennel, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to coat the rice with butter.
- Add 1 cup of warm stock and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until nearly absorbed.
- Continue adding the stock 1 cup at a time and stirring constantly until it is nearly absorbed between additions.
- The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce, about 20 minutes total.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, the 1 1/2 cups of cheese and the 2 tablespoons of fennel fronds.
- Garnish with more fennel fronds and serve immediately, passing grated cheese at the table.
- Caramelized Onion and Fennel Risotto
- Fennel & lemon risotto
- Fennel Risotto
- Fennel risotto with ricotta and dried chilli (Risotto ai finocchi con ricotta e peperoncino)
- Risotto with Fennel & Peas Recipe