- 1 1/2 pounds romano beans
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup peeled, crushed ripe tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, with their juices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or a shallow three-quart saucepan. Add celery, carrot and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables barely begin to brown, about 25 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and cook until fragrant, a few minutes. Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until mixture is well combined, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, setting them in pan all in one direction. Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Baste beans, season with salt, reduce heat to low. Cook gently, partly covered, turning beans in sauce from time to time, until beans are very tender, about 40 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve hot or at room temperature.
- Braised Romano Beans
- BRAISED ROMANO BEANS WITH CHERRY TOMATOES
- Romano Beans with Tomatoes (Fagioli a Corallo in Umido)