- Olive oil 1 Tbsp.
- Onion, peeled and diced ½ cup
- Shallot, peeled and minced 2 Tbsp.
- Garlic, peeled and minced 1 Tbsp.
- Bay leaf 1 ea.
- Unsalted butter 2 Tbsp.
- All purpose flour ¼ cup
- Milk 3 cups
- White pepper to taste
- Nutmeg ¼ tsp.
- Thyme leaves 1 tsp.
- Parmigiano Reggiano 1 cup
- Cheddar cheese, white, shredded 1 cup
- Gruyere cheese, grated ½ cup
- Fontina 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Elbow pasta, cooked al dente ½ lb.
- Cannellini beans, canned or cooked, drained, rinsed, chilled 3 cups
- Bread crumbs, toasted ½ cup
- Cayenne ¼ tsp.
- Kosher salt ½ tsp.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- For the base: Saute the onions, shallot, and garlic and bay leaf to the pan and cook until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the butter and flour to the pot and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk to the pot and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Season with the white pepper, nutmeg, and thyme and cook for 3 minutes. Add the grated cheeses to the pot and stir to combine well. Add the pasta to the pot and remove from the heat.
- Add the chilled beans and fold them in gently.
- Transfer the contents of the pot to a 3-quart baking dish or individual ramekins. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the cayenne and salt and sprinkle over the top of the macaroni. Bake uncovered until golden brown and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.