- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) haricots verts (French string beans)
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- About 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté the shallots, stirring frequently, until soft and mellow, about 8 minutes.
- Add the haricots verts, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the water and cook, stirring frequently, until the water evaporates, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking until the beans are tender and the pan is completely dry, 5-6 minutes.
- Test the beans for doneness.
- If they need more cooking time, add a bit more water and cook until done.
- Cook off any remaining liquid in the pan before serving, otherwise the flavor will be diluted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook’s Illustrated Sautéed Green Beans with Garlic and Herbs
- French String Beans with Shallots
- Jacques Pepin’s French Green Beans and Shallots
- Martha Stewart’s Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
- String Beans with Shallots